Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Louisville 2/8, Virginia 2/13, @UNC 2/17, @Louisville 2/20

Re: Louisville 2/8, Virginia 2/13, @UNC 2/17, @Louisville 2/

The good stuff is toward the end, when they show the play type data. Synergy considers Amile to be Duke's MVP, judging by their star watch chart at the very bottom. I agree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wait, so unadjusted or whatever, Virginia's defense allows 0.86 ppp, and ours allows 0.87? Or am I reading this wrong?

The defensive efficiencies are definitely out of whack.

I'm hoping the other numbers aren't blatantly wrong like that. If they're accurate, here are Duke's offensive play types sorted by points per possession:

1.22 Cut (6% of possessions)
1.16 Putback (6%)
1.16 Spot Up (29%)
1.14 Transition (14%)
1.02 Isolation (9%)
1.00 PnR w/roll man finishing (2%)
0.93 Post Up (5%)
0.91 Off Screen (5%)
0.87 Handoff (8%)
0.86 Other (7%)
0.77 PnR w/ball handler finishing (9%)

Things that stand out to me:

1. Our "PnR w/ball handler finishing" is dreadful, which is not too surprising and confirms the eye test that Duke's guards mostly don't finish too well in the paint.

2. Taking lots of Spot Up shots is the goal of Warriors/Rockets/Duke pace and space, so using 29% of possession on Spot Up shots and having elite efficiency on them is a sign that the offense is generally doing its job.

3. Too much Iso, but note that Duke is 6th in the country in Iso efficiency. When Duke plays Thunder ball, Duke does it about as well as we could hope for.

4. Virginia uses Cuts about twice as much as Duke, at the same efficiency level, and it's the highest efficiency play type for Duke. Princeton offense was the best offense all along. Duke should run more of it.

5. The Putbacks are efficient compared to other play types for Duke, but they're not all that efficient compared to the rest of the country (74th). I assume this is all on Plumlee, since no one else really grabs offensive rebounds, and I think Ingram is good at Putbacks. I don't think there's a magic bullet to make Plumlee an even more efficient garbage man, so we'll just live with it for this season. I suspect Giles will be ridiculous on Putbacks.

TeamRankings.com has Virginia at a raw 0.946 (45th), and us at 1.001 (148th). That sounds more like it.

Don't see a line for his game

How the fuck are we 2 point favorites?

I underestimated how crazy it would be to see Duke as a home underdog in a year when they have a top 2 NBA prospect and another guy who is probably top 10 in college basketball. I think Duke -1 or -2 makes sense without Amile. The line coming out as early as all the other lines for tomorrow is a good sign that Amile won't be playing.

Duke is a 2.5-point favorite against Virginia.

Likely without Amile Jefferson, Duke is considered to be very nearly on par on a neutral court with a top 3 team by the numbers. With Jefferson, I believe Duke would be considered the favorite to win the national title.

Imagine what the numbers would say if K was capable of coaching defense as well as Roy. That would place our defenses somewhere in the neighborhood with UK and Gonzaga rather than our current spot sandwiched between Siena and Binghampton.

We're hosting Kevin Knox today. Hopefully we can impress him with our use of bigs as much as UNC has.

...oh, I just noticed 247 says "Recruited by Nate James". nm

Why would Knox care about how we use our bigs? More like -- "Yes, combo forwards can do whatever they want in our offense. Come here, or you can be the next Theo/Justin Jackson."

deepdarkblue said:
We're hosting Kevin Knox today. Hopefully we can impress him with our use of bigs as much as UNC has.

...oh, I just noticed 247 says "Recruited by Nate James". nm

Tyus and Okafor here today also.

childress22 said:
Why would Knox care about how we use our bigs? More like -- "Yes, combo forwards can do whatever they want in our offense. Come here, or you can be the next Theo/Justin Jackson."

In his blog or journal - whatever they call it on ESPN - last week he wrote about how he's paying particular attention to how schools use their big men, and seemed very pleased with how UNC uses theirs.
Apparently he's grown from 6'7" to about 6'9" in less than a year, so I can see him being a 4 in college and maybe beyond.

Anyway, wrt Duke none of it matters because, Nate James.

His face is the same as Meeks. UNC lock.

Amile not dressed

Featherston wrong

Can we just suit Frank Jackson up, instead?

Way to go Devils!

UVA is such a solid team...great win.

The D and rebounding was as good as it has been all year.

Haha

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil