Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2023-2024

What fate awaits this Duke team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just a really weird season. Never blown out unlike last year which got bombed by 20+ three (or maybe four?) times, but also had fewer highs, worse losses (by quality), and likely won’t win anything of note. If we don’t make the second weekend I think it’ll go down as my second worst season since 2015, only ahead of 2021. 2017 did win the ACC Tournament, at least.
Another similarity with 2014, I think they were in almost all the games they lost but never could win a close one.

Other than NCSU, I don't think there another team that Duke beat this season that will play the rest of this weekend.

Weird observation since the acc is Duke’s conference and there are only 2 left. Most conferences have 2 or 0 left (big10 with 4) and Duke played none of them. Your post implies that there are teams still playing outside of the ACC that Duke lost to.

Weird observation since the acc is Duke’s conference and there are only 2 left. Most conferences have 2 or 0 left (big10 with 4) and Duke played none of them. Your post implies that there are teams still playing outside of the ACC that Duke lost to.
It was really more of an observation that neither MSU nor BU made their conference semis, which means I don't think we beat anybody all year that's really good at all. Our KP ranking is an illusion based not losing any game badly.

It was really more of an observation that neither MSU nor BU made their conference semis, which means I don't think we beat anybody all year that's really good at all. Our KP ranking is an illusion based not losing any game badly.
IMG_8594.gif

Every Power 6 team other than Houston, Purdue, and UConn has now lost 7+ games this year. Duke has dropped 8. I know this hasn’t been the season we hoped for, but that should further help put things in perspective.

Almost every loss follows the same basic script:

- Get off to horrible start
- Spend the rest of the first half clawing back and getting it to a tie game or slightly better
-Diarrhea down the legs in last two mins of the half either giving back a lead or going into the half down a basket or two
- Generally playing even or slightly better in first 10-12 minutes of second half
-Give up backbreaking 9-2 run around the eight min mark
- Spend next seven min or so playing with urgency and getting the deficit down to a basket with under a min left
- Too little too late. Lose by either 4 or 5 points.

So 2-7 in games decided in the final minute?

Sub optimal
Still better than losing a bunch of games by double digits. In theory, a good team should only lose close games.

You could say we should have won maybe 3-4 more of those games. But then you're saying we were almost great except for this one flaw.

I feel like our "end of game" execution has been better than our "start of 1st half" and especially "end of 1st half" execution. Some of these close losses are games where the other team got up double figures in the second and we clawed our way to within 5 by the end.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom