Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Brandon Ingram

Bringing in Brandon Ingram next year will add much needed size. Whenever you can bring in a long lanky wing player it is beneficial. I could see him starting next year along with Matt Jones. Matt Jones has played tremendous this year and I can't see Luke or Grayson starting over him next year at the two. There will be a learning curve for Luke just like there was for Grayson this year. He can come off the bench and provide a spark for us next year but I don't believe he will start.

Welcome, Jtanner. I think Matt has been solid, but a far cry from tremendous, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm happy with M. Jones' career progression so far. I can see him earning a highly coveted spot in my heart by graduation. Spots have been left vacant as of late thanks to one year mercenaries that don't bring us any title aside from preseason tournament shit.

Thornton's senior year left him just a few votes short of a spot. Hairston would have needed to average 40 points per game and lead Duke to a title his senior year.

There's a little Matt Jones in all of us, especially when he sucks. Each time he airballs a three long or gets a hopeless but adorably earnest layup swatted into the fifth row, we can't help be reminded of the lost, wide-eyed kid we were the first time we got into a varsity game. If he makes it... well, then we all make it.

I would have more faith in Matt to start at the three than Ingram. First of all, Ingram would be a freshman and while highly ranked I don't think he's in that truly elite class that is a lock to play big minutes early. Also, I''m not convinced he's anything but a college four.

Matt is a perfectly good college player already, and he's only a sophomore. This is the type of player who Coach K usually turns into an All-American by their senior year. Even if his talent limitations prove too much for him to ever reach that level of success, he's basically guaranteed to become a high-level defender who hits 40% of his threes, only takes good shots, and rarely turns it over. Don't see why starting a really skinny freshman who may or may not be able to play the perimeter would help us in the long-term or short-term.

I also think Luke, even though equally unproven, is a better fit at the three than Ingram. He has much better guard skills and it's not like he'd be that undersized for the position.

I want Ingram because we need non-big man bodies next season and he seems like the only one on the radar. There must be about 100 guys available who could help Duke next season just as practice players or emergency players, but Ingram is the guy the staff is considering. If Tyus comes back, it's 8 players next season. If Tyus doesn't come back, we'll need to add a point guard, too. Injuries, foul trouble, transfers, Sulaimons, random illnesses, terribly off games that make a player unplayable, the benefit of practicing 5 on 5 occasionally, etc. make 8 too small a number. We're walking a tight rope this season.

I'd like to have some playable 4 who can stretch the floor. Even with a stable of bigs, there are some situations where it's great to go four in, one out. If we don't get Ingram, that means Matt Jones is at power forward (and somehow we have at least three other guards, but we will).

childress22 said:
I'd like to have some playable 4 who can stretch the floor. Even with a stable of bigs, there are some situations where it's great to go four in, one out. If we don't get Ingram, that means Matt Jones is at power forward (and somehow we have at least three other guards, but we will).

That's a valid point. So it might actually be better if Ingram is more functional as a 4 than a 3.

I also kind of think that, depending on how the roster comes together, we could totally have a Syracuse kind of roster for the 2-3 zone -- very good height/length at every position, good enough lateral quickness at the positions that count. Stick Marshall or Obi in the middle, have Amile/Jeter as one backline guy and Ingram/Amile as the other backline guy, and then have 2 of Kennard/Jones/Allen up high.

We may be in need of some serious offensive playcalling from the coaching staff, but could be really solid defensively in the ACC (especially since I expect UNC, Syracuse, and a couple of other top teams to again be best at things other than outside shooting).

Good points Childress. I like the mobility of Duke's frontcourt on defence next year. Could pose big problems for the opponents.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom