Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Coaching Carousel

I bet Oats takes the Michigan job if it opens. He's from Wisconsin, but coached high school ball in Detroit for 11 years.

Couple paragraphs from a lengthy post-mortem on the Kenny Payne era at Louisville ( https://www.wdrb.com/sports/crawfor...cle_1035e2b8-de5a-11ee-a523-c35eca90e76a.html ):

In Nolan Smith, Payne signed the son of close friend and fellow U of L alum, Derek Smith, a program hero who played for the 1980 national championship team and died in 1996. Nolan Smith came from Duke, where he was an All-American point guard and starter for the 2010 NCAA Championship team before working on Hall of Fame coach Mike Krzyzewski’s staff, where he spent six years before joining Payne at Louisville.

But Smith was sensitive to criticism, had some contentious social media interactions with fans, and before the 2023-24 season interviewed with a G-League team, the Capital City GoGo. When athletics leadership concluded that Smith had been the source of a leak that resulted in national media reports saying Payne would be fired in December and Smith elevated to the head coaching job, Payne was advised to take the matter up with Smith.

Smith remained on the staff, and what measures Payne may have taken were not known.

Man, I used to love Nolan. But he seems like a total two-faced snake in the grass, if I can mix metaphors. All this make me think that he really WAS trying to poach our recruits.

I thought Nolan was one of the best people to ever come through our program. His actions over the last two years have been Mike Elko-tier. So disappointing.

Couple paragraphs from a lengthy post-mortem on the Kenny Payne era at Louisville ( https://www.wdrb.com/sports/crawfor...cle_1035e2b8-de5a-11ee-a523-c35eca90e76a.html ):

In Nolan Smith, Payne signed the son of close friend and fellow U of L alum, Derek Smith, a program hero who played for the 1980 national championship team and died in 1996. Nolan Smith came from Duke, where he was an All-American point guard and starter for the 2010 NCAA Championship team before working on Hall of Fame coach Mike Krzyzewski’s staff, where he spent six years before joining Payne at Louisville.

But Smith was sensitive to criticism, had some contentious social media interactions with fans, and before the 2023-24 season interviewed with a G-League team, the Capital City GoGo. When athletics leadership concluded that Smith had been the source of a leak that resulted in national media reports saying Payne would be fired in December and Smith elevated to the head coaching job, Payne was advised to take the matter up with Smith.

Smith remained on the staff, and what measures Payne may have taken were not known.

Wow, that should just about shut the door on even the most remote possibility of him ever joining the Duke staff in any capacity, yes? Can't have a snitch on the team. In fact i'm trying to recall any stories leaked from 2016 to 2022 he may have been the source for.

Last edited:
Man, I used to love Nolan. But he seems like a total two-faced snake in the grass, if I can mix metaphors. All this make me think that he really WAS trying to poach our recruits.

I believe this firmly too. I really liked Nolan but everything about him now seems like an over-inflated ego. Unemployment will probably teach him a good life lesson.

Remembering how he got kicked off his Croatian league team and the coach called him irresponsible and that they needed to replace him.

Speaking of ACC jobs, apparently SMU is firing Lanier, who had a decent year this year in his second year (#72 Ken Pom, NIT bid, 20-12 record). Wouldn't be shocked to see them go after a bigger name.

I’m very curious to see who fills any ACC coaching vacancies this offseason and next. I’m still really unsure how realignment is going to affect basketball, and I think those coaching changes will help clear it up a bit.

Yeah I agree. I mean, I don't like Musselman, but a guy like that could help elevate the program at SMU, and they could throw money at him. I do wish Louisville had been able to get Drew.

Stanford I think is going a bit lower profile, but I've heard they like the Princeton coach (Mitch Henderson) and the WSU coach (Kyle Smith).

Louisville might be done as a program. May had an offer on the table from them, too.
"Offer on the table"? He and his agent had told multiple people there earlier today he was coming, and they had already set up chairs for a press conference. That's cold.

Wow, that’s really bad. Elko-tier, dare I say.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom