Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

College Basketball 2015-2016

Did anyone know this was going on? Bill Self just took his entire Kansas team for the World University Games because no one else would do it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigger premium on being good at offense this year

Larrañaga will make sure UNC doesn't win the conference, but at the expense of blowing us out by 30 on their homecourt.

Get 'em

-rDxDhSg.jpg

"@GregGoBlue
Michigan sports fanatic. Family medicine resident. Friend."

Taking such a strong, absolute stance on Miami over Duke is odd. Miami was 46th on Kenpom and returns a lot. Duke was 4th on Kenpom, returns two really good upperclass big men and two other guys who were contributors, and adds the #1 freshman class. There seem to be decent reasons to think Duke will be competitive with Miami.

I think most media believe Marshall Plumlee is complete trash as a basketball player. Seems inaccurate to consider him useless.

Duke returns 4 of their 6 best defensive players from the #12 defensive team. Maybe 4 out of the top 5, depending on where you rank Quinn.

"Friend."

Not sure why I love that so much. Something about the way it plays off his smile.

DurhamSon said:

Get 'em

-rDxDhSg.jpg

"@GregGoBlue
Michigan sports fanatic. Family medicine resident. Friend."

So when I first saw that tweet about Miami I immediately thought it was related to college football. Whoops.

I, too, was confused about that tweet being in the basketball forum. Strange world we live in...

Gbinije chose Duke partly to please his parents. The school, located just two hours from home, provided a national platform to ply his basketball trade with a respected Hall-of-Fame coach to guide him. And Frank Gbinije, like countless parents before him, preached about the doors a Duke degree could open if basketball somehow faded.

The fit, for Michael, was uneasy from the start.

A Jordan Brand All-American, he pictured himself a "typical one-and-done guy." He'd play a season at Duke, then declare for the NBA Draft, earn money at a profession he'd targeted since kindergarten. Recruited as a small forward, he initially longed to play guard and then finally, to find a way onto the basketball court at all.

Gbinije averaged 5.8 minutes per game his only season at Duke, his confidence dimming and his frustrations rising with every game he watched from the bench. As the season progressed, he tried to derive satisfaction from the simple tasks of attaining weight room goals or staying in optimum shape to dull the constant, present ache of not playing. Whenever Frank Gbinije talked to Mike Krzyzewski about his son's situation, Krzyzewski would mention Michael's muted personality.

Gbinije formed friendships with roommate Quinn Cook and the Plumlee brothers, but never felt part of the Duke equation, never felt free to expose his basketball self.

"It was very tough on him, it was tough on me and it was even tougher on his mom because it got to the point where she really didn't want to go to any more games. She'd take off work, get excited and many games he didn't get in or he'd get in for 30 seconds. He didn't see this, but I saw her cry a lot," Frank Gbinije said. "I'd talk to him on the phone and I could just sense it wasn't fun for him anymore. It seemed like he was losing his passion."

Give me a fucking break

What a thoroughly unimpressive person and family. I love the idea that someone would transfer to Syracuse to show off their basketball "personality." I'm biased, but I don't think there's a high-major school that even comes close to Duke in terms of allowing players freedom. Maybe Michigan.

His family says shit like this while K is saying things like "I'm happy to see Mike becoming the player we all thought he could be."

I mean, he only played 14 min per game in 2014, despite the fact that he was the only backup PG. And it still hasn't occurred to him or his family that maybe he just wasn't that good yet.

Kentucky signs some 7 foot Australian guy who reclassified from 2016

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom