Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

College Basketball 2015-2016

Why do players need an additional foul? That's above an beyond the sacrosanct 1 foul per 8 minutes that basketball players at any level have had forever.

Thank god that wasn't instituted before last season, or K would have kept Okafor in the game much longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, increasing the individual foul limit seems like an unnecessary change. It would be more in line with high school rules - 5 fouls in 32 minutes is pretty much the same as 6 in 40 minutes.

Also notable:

A timeout called within 30 seconds of a break (i.e. 16:30) becomes the TV timeout now.

Coaches can't call live ball TOs.

Only 10 seconds combined to inbound and advance the ball to halfcourt, I think?

No more five-second calls. :(

Can video review shot clock violations throughout game.

And apparently even more emphasis on:

Protecting perimeter dribblers from contact.

Cutting down physicality in post play.

Cutting down off-ball contact (freedom of movement).

Non-stationary screeners.

Clearer guidelines for lock/charge plays.

Pantone287 said:
Also notable:

A timeout called within 30 seconds of a break (i.e. 16:30) becomes the TV timeout now.

Coaches can't call live ball TOs.

Only 10 seconds combined to inbound and advance the ball to halfcourt, I think?

No more five-second calls. :(

Can video review shot clock violations throughout game.
I love the timeout within 30 seconds of a break becoming the TV timeout, but only 10 seconds combined to inbound and advance? Seems like a team that presses really well could get a ton of those calls.

I love the 10 seconds to get it across rule. You press a team effectively for 9 of the 10 seconds, and then the ball gets knocked out or they call a timeout. Why should they get 10 more seconds? My question with that rule is are teams still allowed to inbound the ball into the backcourt once they have it across?

No five second call is just dumb. If you're up at the end of a game, you get it to your best free throw shooter, and he either gets stripped or fouled because he can hold the ball for the entire shot clock.

DurhamSon said:

Why do players need an additional foul? That's above an beyond the sacrosanct 1 foul per 8 minutes that basketball players at any level have had forever.

Thank god that wasn't instituted before last season, or K would have kept Okafor in the game much longer.

Yeah, I agree. The old Big East used to have 6 fouls though back in the day even though it was a 40 min game.

I'm probably alone but I'd just rather they copy every NBA rule and be done with it. The NBA game is so far superior that I'd rather watch college teams play that style than this slow down shit. 30 seconds is an improvement but let's go NBA rules and I'd be ecstatic.

physicsfactor said:
I love the 10 seconds to get it across rule. You press a team effectively for 9 of the 10 seconds, and then the ball gets knocked out or they call a timeout. Why should they get 10 more seconds? My question with that rule is are teams still allowed to inbound the ball into the backcourt once they have it across?

I think I was wrong about that and physics' post is the right interpretation.

I'm guessing the only reason they've been hesitant to implement more NBA-like rules, besides typical red tape and old folk inertia, is a fear that matchups between a Duke and a Presbyterian would be even less competitive, so we might see the kind of awkward disgust that happens when some middle school girls team beats another one by literally 100+ points despite putting in scrubs for 10 minutes.

Seems like these rules will lead to more aggressive man to man defenses to make use of (1) 30 second shot clock, (2) new 10 second rule, (3) 6 fouls per player and (4) expanded restricted arc. K was always ahead of the curve. Probably was in the NCAA's head this whole time.

These are all "proposed" changes at the moment, right? Have they actually been voted in or whatever?

I don't think they have been voted on yet. Unless the vote was yesterday.

Jeff Goodman explains why Maryland is his pick for preseason #1 in the nation.
http://espn.go.com/blog/jeff-goodman/in ... st?id=5003

But what put Maryland at the No. 1 spot for this writer was the recent addition of former Duke guard Rasheed Sulaimon, who is eligible to play this season due to the graduate transfer rule.

Sulaimon finished 9th on Duke in BPM, ahead of Semi Ojeleye, Nick Pagliuca and Sean Kelly. He was 10th in offensive rating and made the obscene choice to take up the 4th most possessions. He had a 1.2 assist/turnover ratio. He was 10th in total rebounding percentage. He was dismissed for repeated character failures. His team went on an unprecedented run of defensive dominance and won a national championship without him.

A team adding this person is the reason Jeff Goodman believes that team is the best in the nation.

Vegas has apparently pegged this season to finally be the Sulaimon breakout season. I don't disagree. But I will hate it. I understand how some Duke fans will be happy about Sulaimon winning a title with Maryland. But I will hate it.

I don't really understand that article. Who are they going to be playing against? What's the point of it?

There was a post about that Vegas team on TDD a couple weeks back, and IIRC they were wanting to play European teams. I think their original team website said as much when I looked at it back then, but they have since taken everything off their site.

This article has the creator of the team saying they will have a home-and-home CSKA Moscow:
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...nd-done-cerruti-brown-mcdonalds-all-americans

Whole thing sounds shady.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom