Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

College Basketball 2015-2016

Yep barry ( slice ) rorhhson, left for St. John's shortly after mullin was hired, I was surprised Diallo pocked Kansas cause rorhhson was his lead recruiter at UK and St. John's also hired an assistant from Iowa st who was diallos lead recruiter there as well. I am so glad when recruits turn down UK , I absolutely hate UK , I am from Ohio and there is a lot of UK fans where I live, drives me insane, that's why this year was so sweet for me, cause all I heard all year was UK UK UK , and in the end I got the last laugh.... Go duke

Maybe Cal really was dependent on some of these recruiters for landing his prospects. He had Pastner at Memphis too.

deepdarkblue said:
It's even easier to forget when the few surefire OAD recruits you land are still on the roster two years later.

It's interesting how terribly wrong things have gone at Chapel Hill since Harrison Barnes. It almost makes me believe there's some sort of supernatural bad mojo stuff at work there, that things started going so badly for them from that moment on.

I don't think it is supernatural, I think it is a case of near-terminal hubris. Success breeds arrogance and myopia. Arrogance finds arrogance and myopia finds myopia. Roy was very successful for a spell, but I think was blissfully unaware of why he was - almost exclusively because he retained talent longer than anyone in this day and age. Who knows how much of a factor the total lack of academic responsibility was in facilitating this, but it was likely not negligible.

Roy just thought it was because he was an awesome coach, and some worshipers of past luminaries were also fooled for a time.

Calipari has also fallen victim to this to a certain extent. The Rose/Evans/Wall/Davis run may have convinced him that he could turn anyone into an NBA star merely by running the DDM offense. Recent personnel results have been less than stellar, even as his recruiting has become more or less a blanket offer list to the top-20 HS players.

Honestly, I hope like hell that K guards against this carefully. He's gotten a little loose with who he recruits at certain points in the past, and while he can course correct with the best of them, he may be tempted to go against his better judgement in the final lap.

Pitt should be solid next season if they get Gibbs. I think they'd be better than NC State and possibly better than Syracuse. They're only losing one rotation player (Cameron Wright), and he played SG, so Gibbs would be a good fit.

Gibbs is your typical great offense/terrible defense small guard. The most interesting thing to me is how he transformed from a monster free throw guy as a sophomore to mostly a 3pt shooter as a junior, like a much more extreme Quinn Cook.

Gibbs's FT rate was 86% as a sophomore. I don't recall ever seeing a guard with a FT rate that high. That came in plenty of minutes (30 mpg) and plenty of usage (26%). He may have realized this wasn't the best way to go, since his offensive rating was only 109 that season, hindered by 34% 3pt shooting and 72% FT shooting on all those free throws. He got his 3pt shooting up to 43% last season on nearly twice as many attempts, while cutting his FT rate by more than half (39%). His offensive rating went up to 115, while his usage only dipped to 24%.

Gibbs will go to Ohio State.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe there are three basketball-playing Gibbs brothers: Ashton (Pitt), Sterling (transferring) and TJ (committed to Notre Dame).

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
I believe there are three basketball-playing Gibbs brothers: Ashton (Pitt), Sterling (transferring) and TJ (committed to Notre Dame).

Don't forget the evil stepbrother...

wink.gif

ASU is a favorite to land Sulaimon? Him and Thon Maker on the same team shouldn't create any chemistry issues.

There also shouldn't be any issues with Sulaimon on that campus with ASU women.

It also tells me that K doesn't hate Sulaimon.

What do we all think about Maryland next year? I've posted several times on TDD why I think they are being overrated by virtually everyone. They were the second-luckiest team in the nation last year, suffering several blowout losses and winning a disproportionate amount of their close games. Their tournament performance wasn't encouraging either as they barely squeaked by Valpo then lost by double-digits to a mediocre West Virginia team because no one on their team could dribble after Trimble got hurt. They bring in transfer Robert Carter from Georgia Tech (101 Offensive rating on 24% usage, top 10 defensive rebounder in the country in 2014) and top 10 recruit Diamond Stone, a back-to-the-basket center who doesn't exactly project to have the impact of Jahlil Okafor or Karl-Anthony Towns.

On the other hand, they bring back all positive contributors from last season. They are free from the oppressive impact of the high-usage, low-efficiency Duke-killer Dez Wells and the general shittiness of Evan Smotrycz, which should free up more looks for the likes of Trimble, the enigmatic senior Jake Layman, and the sharpshooting sophomore wing Jared Nickens. If the offensive is centered around these three guys instead of the two fat guys down low, Maryland has a chance to have a very elite offense, after finishing a surprisingly low 58th in the country this year.

Defense, where the Terps finished at a respectable 40th this season, is a big question. I have no idea if Diamond Stone will play any D, but based on what I've seen I think he may be more like Okafor than Towns on that side of the ball. Losing seniors Dez Wells and Richaud Pack should hurt on the perimeter as well. Basically, if Stone can defend the rim and Robert Carter can suck up defensive rebounds the way he did at Georgia Tech, then Maryland might be able to scrape together an acceptable defense for a contender.

Upon further review, I still think Maryland's status as an early title favorite is incredibly optimistic. If Diamond Stone is as good as his ranking suggests and the subtraction of Wells frees up what would've been an elite offense last year, then maybe the Terps can make some noise in March. As it is right now, I'd have them closer to the 12-15 range.

Maryland should be able to make a similar leap as NC State in 2013, when they returned CJ Leslie, Lorenzo Brown, Richard Howell and Scott Wood as juniors/seniors and added stud freshmen TJ Warren, Rodney Purvis and Tyler Lewis.

NC State jumped from #44 Kenpom in 2012 all the way up to #34 in 2013. Maryland could certainly make the leap from #31 in 2015 to low to mid 20s in 2016.

That's really good for Maryland. Congrats to that program for being on track to be top 25ish in 2016.

Our AD's son.

Guess UF is punting basketball to focus on real sports

On the offchance he becomes elite, at least it would be easy to steal him after Capel gets fired

Excellent rebounder and shot blocker. Should make a big impact for Wichita.

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom