Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

College Basketball 2022-2023

I don't get it, if you're GT, why wouldn't you swing for the fences and go after Chris Beard.
If you're going to hire Damon Stoudamire you might as well just stick with Pastner

Last edited:
Pastner and Gregory were uninspired hires. This is decently better, IMO.

Stoudamire inherited an awful Pacific team, and made steady improvements over 4 years. Posting the overall record obscures that.

Moreover, he's spent almost 2 years on the Celtics bench under Udoka and Mazzulla. Are the last two Celtics assistants to make the move to college hoops Micah Shrewsberry and Kara Lawson? If so, they've done pretty well.

Bill Self very well might be the GOAT regular season coach, tbh. I don’t think Duke has a stretch longer than 12 from 2008 to 2019? Which would have been 13 if 2020 had happened. Big 12 has not been fucking around for a few years either

Fr1iH5OWIAI46lp

I don’t think it’s quite this simple, but it’s close. If Nate Oats coached the Kentucky players during games and didn’t change the tempo, they would likely average around 6 more points per game, as the bottom right image indicates. I would believe that a layups and 3s coach is worth about 6 points over a replacement level game day coach in college.

I don't find the data in Miyakawa's tweet very convincing on its own. A 7% dip isn't that far off what I'd expect comparing a season average (with a lot of home games) against an average of two games against NCAAT-quality teams in a neutral arena.

Edit: General neutral-court 3pt shooting seems to vary by team. Xavier/Gonzaga really good at it on the season. MSU is awful (more than 10% off regular season avg); Miami notable dip, too.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s quite this simple, but it’s close. If Nate Oats coached the Kentucky players during games and didn’t change the tempo, they would likely average around 6 more points per game, as the bottom right image indicates. I would believe that a layups and 3s coach is worth about 6 points over a replacement level game day coach in college.
Calipari's not a brilliant tactician, but I think even he would happily get 7.5 more layup/dunk attempts per game.

I don't find the data in Miyakawa's tweet very convincing on its own. A 7% dip isn't that far off what I'd expect comparing a season average (with a lot of home games) against an average of two games against NCAAT-quality teams in a neutral arena.

Edit: General neutral-court 3pt shooting seems to vary by team. Xavier/Gonzaga really good at it on the season. MSU is awful (more than 10% off regular season avg); Miami notable dip, too.

I'd say the overall point applies either way, though - even if you're right and the very best shooting teams can only expect 0.93 pps from threes in the tournament, then that's probably not the most reliable path to winning a championship.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom