Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2012-2013 Discussion Thread

A few thoughts:

1) Cook is awesome in transition. I'd like to see us take more advantage of that.

2) I don't see how anyone looking at that would not think Cook could be a great leader.

3) Mason loves to reverse dunk on Carolina.

4) That Curry three versus Carolina was deeeep.

5) Thornton. That is all.

Topher said:
The thing I really like about Dave is that he always understands that plays like Tyler's at UNC are season highlights. He understands that deeper meaning which is impressive to me.

I imagine there is some consultation with the staff since often a play that was highlighted by Coach K in a press conference is put in a video. Also, last year you could tell some of the videos were designed to motivate the team.

From what I understand, Dave does a lot of it by himself but obviously takes those kinds of cues from the staff

Yeah, some of the cues might be as simple as listening to Coach K after the game and taking notes. I'm not necessarily saying he goes to the staff and says, "Is there any particular play you want me to put in the video?"

I highly recommend rewatching Duke-State in Cameron.

It's still available on ESPN3 if you pick "All" for time frame and search "Duke." Just a ridiculously entertaining first half.

Most enjoyable game of the year by far. Murph-dunk in the first half. Plumlee's reaction. Fucking hell..

I know NCCU never posts on this forum, but his comment of "Cook got schooled by Lewis" is triply annoying on my fourth rewatch. Zero objectivity. Pretty much encapsulates my whole problem with his position on Cook.

"Cook played a great game. Put up 27 points and 10 assists. Now just needs to get better at defending the ball screen" -- NCCU post

"Cook won the game for us on that floater in the lane. Now he just needs to improve his shot selection."

That's sorta true. I think Quinn's shot selection is very good other than about 1 "wtf" shot per game.

The point is that NCCU is extremely hypercritical of Quinn.

Given the improvement shown in his soph year, I am excited to see what QC can bring to the table in year 3.

Defensive improvement (working off of screens in particular) is key. From an offensive perspective, take care of the ball and maintain a high 3 pt %.

"Coach K is always there as a coach, a mentor and a poster..."

Last edited by a moderator:
Banquet tonight, seniors share MVP award.

@bluevsblue: Seth Curry @ the banquet : "I'm surprised they aren't showing a highlight video of my mom here tonight..."

Duke Basketball ‏ @ dukeblueplanet 55m
Awards underway at banquet. Top student-athlete honor goes to Mason Plumlee and best defensive player award winner is Ryan Kelly.

Duke Basketball ‏ @ dukeblueplanet 36m
Tyler Thornton named reserve most committed to team morale. Seth Curry claims Coaches Award (commitment to values of Duke Basketball)

Duke Basketball ‏ @ dukeblueplanet 34m
MVP award is a three-way split given to our standout seniors Ryan, Seth and Mason

Duke Basketball ‏ @ dukeblueplanet 32m
Coach Collins very emotional passing mic to Coach K. "There won't be a day that goes by that I won't think of something learned at Duke"

Duke Basketball ‏ @ dukeblueplanet 13m
Coach K: "Our seniors averaged 31 wins. We don't even schedule that many games."

Duke Basketball ‏ @ dukeblueplanet 5m
Seth: "Duke was the best decision I have made. I am proud to be a Blue Devil for life."

Duke Basketball ‏ @ dukeblueplanet 3m
Seth: "Coach is getting older. I figure he will slow down a little one of these days. Not true. He just keeps picking it up."

bdotling said:
Banquet tonight, seniors share MVP award.

@bluevsblue: Seth Curry @ the banquet : "I'm surprised they aren't showing a highlight video of my mom here tonight..."

Great quote. The fanbase will miss Seth, but we are all going to miss mama Curry just as much. What a great looking lady.

Random thought:

One of my favorite plays from last season was the one-handed, threading-the-needle bounce pass by Quinn Cook to Mason Plumlee on the break. Occurred multiple times, and in fact there are a couple of iterations of it in the season highlights. Quinn would be on the left wing, between half court and the three-point line when he'd release the pass. Mason would catch it on the right side in the lane and go up for the two-handed dunk.

There's little I love more in basketball than a perfect pass. Combine that with my love of fast breaks, and this was kind of the perfect play. I love the split second instinctive decision making that is the result of months and months of repetition in practice.

Not sure if ESPN3 has it in the archives, but Duke-BC at Cameron has the most highlight reel plays of any game we played this year. NC State would be better since it was a more important game, but it was marred by our awful defense in the second half. I only watch the first half of that game. But BC is great all the way through.

Sheed with the nearly perfect game.

Also, Corey Alexander was the best color commentator we had all year.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom