Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke basketball 2015-2016 discussion thread

This team will be pretty good once Amile is back and Plumlee's minutes reduced to single digits.

Plumlee is better than Jeter, at least, so it will be a step up in two regards.

Duke players ranked by FG% at rim:

1. Jefferson 71%
2. Plumlee 68%
3. Ingram 64%
4. Kennard 63%
5. Allen 60%
6. Jeter 50%
7. Thornton 44%
8. Jones 34%

Benchmarks (past 5 seasons):

Center - Mar. Plumlee 2014-15 - 87%
Big forward - Jefferson 2015-16 - 71%
Small forward - Winslow 2014-15 - 67%
Big guard - Allen 2014-15 - 75%
Small guard - Cook 2011-12 - 72%

Worst (past 5 seasons):

Center - Jeter 2015-16 - 50%
Big forward - Hairston 2011-12 - 56%
Small forward - Sulaimon 2013-14 - 47%
Big guard - M. Jones 2015-16 - 34%
Small guard - T. Thornton 2013-14 - 38%

There haven't been any bad small forwards in the past 5 seasons at finishing, so I went to the rapist well.

Eye test don't lie.

Surely the staff is aware of how terrible he is at the rim? I would imagine the majority of our upcoming opponents are aware of it, so it might be a good time to tell Matt to maybe try doing something different with the ball. I've heard passing the ball to a teammate can at times be an effective action, maybe he could try it.

Why would any opponent collapse on him and leave another player open though? I'd take my chances guarding the anti-Kyrie straight up.

Plumlee gets fouled on so many misses, which then don't count as shots. Probably leads the nation by a lot on missed and-one layups, which cost Duke about 1.5 points each.

Matt doesn't get fouled, so all his misses work against that miserable 34% FG at the rim. If only there were a coach on Duke's staff who could teach a tall guard how to position his body to get fouled on layups.

Plumlee also gets a couple wide-open dunks a game.

The 32% he misses are those terrible flailing "post moves." They stand out more than other players' misses because they are so bad.

Due to having 5 elite ACC teams this season (Virginia, Louisville, Miami, Duke, UNC), the 4 and 5 seeds in the ACCT are screwed this year - they'll likely meet in the quarterfinals while the top 3 seeds get relatively easy paths to the semifinals.

Here is the breakdown of how many times these 5 teams play each other:

Virginia (Kenpom #3)
Miami
@Louisville
@Duke
@Miami
UNC
Louisville

Louisville (5)
Virginia
UNC
@Duke
Duke
@Miami
@Virginia

Duke (9)
@Miami
Louisville
Virginia
@UNC
@Louisville
UNC

Miami (11)
@Virginia
Duke
@UNC
Virginia
Louisville

UNC (13)
@Louisville
Duke
Miami
@Virginia
@Duke

It's tempting to think Miami has the easiest schedule, but they play the next tier of teams (Pitt and Notre Dame) 3 times and only play the worst team by far (Boston College) once. UNC plays the next tier only 2 times and the worst team 2 times. UNC got the easiest schedule among the elite ACC teams, and I would expect them to grab a top 3 seed in the ACCT even though they are the worst team of the 5. It's going to be a tight race for the other 2 good spots in the ACCT between the 4 other elite teams.

It must be somewhat interesting for UNC fans to think that, in a peak year for their team, after a perfect storm of such a backlog of top recruits not being quite good enough to get to the NBA, Roy has them playing like the 5th best team in the conference. If Jackson and Meeks leave after this season, they might win fewer than 10 games next season. Hicks really should be on his way to the 1st round after this season, but Roy is wisely playing Joel James over him to hide him.

Topher said:
bdotling said:
didn't realize Obi has been hurt

Apparently he's still recovering from a back injury
It's all the back fat.

I actually don't think he's that fat, but the nickname Obise is sticking in my head now

I am very confident about the @State game this year.

Chat rooms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom