Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2016-2017

Sounds like DeLaurier can beat out Jeter for the 9th man super garbage minutes against good teams.

Sounds like White is the worse Alex Murphy we thought he was.

The dumbest fans in basketball cheering for terrible defense, despite our defense being the potential major reason we would fail this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one commenting on help side/PnR defense. Either because casual fans don't watch for it (likely) or because Duke continues to suck at it (likely) or both (likely).

Glad to see Duke BB's various pages have stepped up the coverage with one 14-second video.

I saw one picture of Amile yamming on Jack White. That's the only action shot I've seen from the game.
All the Duke media is busy covering the football game (LOL) and can't be bothered with editing and posting images and video from the most epic basketball team in the history of college sports.

Jack White is like all of our other players' hype man.

I think K is bringing in guys like Vrank, White and O'Connell as extra practice bodies, and if they develop into useful players down the line, great. If not, whatever. Can't have just 6-7 healthy bodies to practice with like last season.

The cap should be at two useless scholarship players, imo. Had Thornton not left, we'd have missed out on Bolden because of Jack White.

I think K will always make it work if a Bolden talent wants to take a scholarship. Crean does this to a shameful extent, but K could get away with forcing 1 deplorable like Thornton out each offseason. I don't consider O'Connell to be a deplorable, but early impressions seem to be that White is one.

There are a few general levels of basketball ability at Duke, and I will use this year's team as an example:

Studs (high usage, great stats) - Allen, Giles, Tatum

Others (low to moderate usage, good to great stats) - Jefferson, Bolden, Jones, Kennard, Jackson

Shitheads (bench guys who rarely play in close games but have likable personalities and play up to their talent level) - Jeter, DeLaurier, Vrankovic

Deplorables (bench guys who only play in blowouts and are even worse than we ever imagined coming into Duke, or guys who play a lot despite being terrible) - White, Obi

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:
I think K will always make it work if a Bolden talent wants to take a scholarship. Crean does this to a shameful extent, but K could get away with forcing 1 deplorable like Thornton out each offseason. I don't consider O'Connell to be a deplorable, but early impressions seem to be that White is one.

White's footwork

Of everyone, I think Tatum has the biggest realistic range in potential o rating. Could be anywhere between 105 and 125.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:

Jack White is like all of our other players' hype man.

I think K is bringing in guys like Vrank, White and O'Connell as extra practice bodies, and if they develop into useful players down the line, great. If not, whatever. Can't have just 6-7 healthy bodies to practice with like last season.

"This browser does not supports video playback."

This browser = one of the three most popular browsers in the world.

I know this seems like a copout given what you just posted, but I have Tatum at a 115 offensive rating. I'm comparing him to players in recent years with a similar skillset who shouldered a similar offensive burden. He won't have to carry the load that Jabari did, and his FT shooting will be better Ingram's while his 3pt shooting will be worse.

It all comes down to his ratio of midrange shots to FTs. On FTs, we're talking possibly 1.7 ppp. On midrange shots, we're hoping for 1 ppp.

K will probably let Tatum showcase his midrange game for the NBA against not-great teams during the season, but then cut it off for the NCAA Tournament. For a bad NBA team, the prospect of having a 0.9 PPP midrange jumpshooter against any NBA defense is enticing. For the best college team with the best offense and championship goals, Tatum's offensive game will make no sense.

I would take whatever adjusted PPP Duke puts up in the regular season and give it a 2-3 PPP/100 bump to get what to expect in the NCAA Tournament, due to the no-Tatum-midrange policy. As fans, we need to understand that it's best for the program in the long term to allow star recruits to showcase their games for the NBA (Okafor, Jabari, now Tatum) at the expense of current team results, and K will make the change when it matters.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom