Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Basketball 2019-2020

If he has to come here, the best roster would be with Hurt at the 3, and IMO look like this:

Jones-Moore-Hurt-Carey-Bolden

Bench- (in this order) Javin/Boogie/O'Connell/White

If O'Connell can't become an average defender, which would result in him cracking the top 8 of the rotation (he has a tremendous built in advantage of being a shooter) as a 6'6 junior wing this coaching staff can go fuck themselves.

This team would be forced to play some zone, because if they were solid in man to man, there will be some smaller teams who will just space and kill them.

I agree with everything but I’d start Javin for some reason and I can’t really point my finger as to why but I’d be okay with Bolden starting as long as they split minutes.

The following team would be top 5 in America:

Tre Jones
Wendell Moore
Matthew Hurt
Vernon Carey, Jr.
Marques Bolden

I just have little confidence in Tre coming back. I really hope Bolden comes back, because Carey is going to be a great 4, which he very much fancies himself as. Just don't compare him to Zion- he's not that. But the idea that Carey is exclusively a 5 is off the mark.

Moore and/or Ellis running the point would be a guaranteed 10-loss season.

A team with Tre but no Bolden would be okay but not top 5.

The following team would be top 5 in America:

Tre Jones
Wendell Moore
Matthew Hurt
Vernon Carey, Jr.
Marques Bolden

I just have little confidence in Tre coming back. I really hope Bolden comes back, because Carey is going to be a great 4, which he very much fancies himself as. Just don't compare him to Zion- he's not that. But the idea that Carey is exclusively a 5 is off the mark.

Moore and/or Ellis running the point would be a guaranteed 10-loss season.

A team with Tre but no Bolden would be okay but not top 5.

Coach K was jumping up and down and dancing a jig that we got Moore because he can play PG. 10 losses sounds about right, maybe even 11-13.

Amazing to think that a lineup with The Big Hoss and The Big Texan would likely be like 300th in the country in defensive rebounding rate.

Ugh at that disgusting big ball lineup.

Carey shoots 3s often and is good at it. Shot 34% on decent volume in AAU.

whispers: that's higher than both Cam and RJ
I know I'm responding to nobody here. But let him shoot them at the 5. That's even more of an advantage. And he won't be getting burned on defense by teams playing 6'7" ballhandlers at the 4.

I know I'm responding to nobody here. But let him shoot them at the 5. That's even more of an advantage. And he won't be getting burned on defense by teams playing 6'7" ballhandlers at the 4.

I'll bet duke24 is interested in this response.

This group is the best combination of talent and experience:

Goldwire
Baker
O'Connell
White
Bolden

White will be resurrected and this lineup will be bombing threes all day long. Sights on Six baby!

It's illegal to go around shooting people.

It won't happen but it would be nice to see at least 10 guys see regular minutes next year. The way things are falling into place, looks like there will be about 11 guys worthy of this.

Javin
Tre
Bolden
Jack
Goldy
HOSS
Ellis
Moore
Hurt
AOC
Baker

Having said that I am a little worried about Bolden not being around.

Last edited:
I’m not even sure if I can do a minutes projection.

Guys that will play 25+mpg:
Tre, Hurt and Hoss. Probably our top 3 scorers too. 18/9 for Hoss, 14 and 6 for Hurt, 12 and 6 for Tre

Guys that will play 15+mpg with potential for starter minutes:
Boogie, AOC, Moore, Jav, Bolden

Guys that will play around 10mpg:
Baker and White. I think the above 8 will be the main rotation with the winner of this battle being the 9th guy in the rotation that gets 8-10mpg, probably all in the first half of a game. The other guy and Gold probably won’t see any regular minutes.

I think this is a very good 8 man rotation:

PG- Tre Jones
SG- Wendell Moore
SF- Matthew Hurt
PF- Vernon Carey
C- Marques Bolden

Bench- Javin DeLaurier/Boogie Ellis/Alex O'Connell with White being the guy getting occasional minutes as the 9th man.

That gives us a lot of flexibility. We don't want Hurt at the 4 for long stretches, but he could play there. Moore can play the 2/3, Carey can play the 4/5, Boogie can play the 1/2, O'Connell could play the 2/3.

I said it before I'll say it again...if O'Connell can't beat out White/Baker for the 8th man in the rotation, something is wrong. This is a very good shooter- if his defense is so awful as a junior that he has less value on the floor than Jack White, either O'Connell is an idiot or the coaching staff just sucks.

The whole situation with Baker is just disgusting and it makes angry that I still even barely support the coaching staff.

He should be a red-shirt freshman next year, with 0 expectations from the fanbase of playing next season considering who we are bringing in. Instead, the coaching staff burned his red-shirt for 8 minutes and now there is some expectations (even if minimal) from the fanbase that he might play next season. Unless he makes an incredible leap, he's not playing meaningful minutes next season, and then he will be entering his junior season having played 0 meaningful minutes.

The whole situation is just complete dog-shit. They should apologize to the kid and when his family decides it is in his best interest to transfer, they should allow him to go anywhere he wants and ask the NCAA to allow him to play immediately. They fucked this kids career so bad.

Jack White was fifth in our team in minutes THIS YEAR, and did so on a team that started First-Team All-Americans at the two positions he plays.

But yeah, he's probably the 9th man next year...

I can only assume people who would want O'Connell to play over White didn't actually watch us play basketball this year.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom