Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Duke Recruiting General Discussion

Am I the only one who thinks its weird that we're not hearing anything about any potential 4-year players that Duke might be looking to add to their 2018 class? I feel like we could use another player, and preferably a big. I mean, unless the staff is pretty sure Bolden is staying around.

The projected state of the 2018/19 frontcourt is weird (thin recruiting class for bigs); I don't necessarily think the lack of recruiting 4-year players in the '18 class is weird.

They have the following players for presumably at least 2 more years:

AOC, Goldwire, Javin, Justin Robinson

Given they are bringing in 3 players who will command the lion's share of backcourt/wing minutes in 2018, I am not surprised that they are not pursuing multiple year players in this class. Incoming recruits would have little to no shot at floor time, and it seems that most are not willing to sit for a year.

2019 is the class to target multi-year players.

So are we done with the 18 class? I like our roster but feel like depth will be a major issue.

If Bolden stays:

Jones 6'2 fr
AOC 6'5 so
Barrett 6'7 fr
Cam 6'8 fr
Bolden 6'11 jr
Bench
Goldwire 6'1 so
Robinson 6'9 jr
DeL 6'10 jr

Vrank and White probably get cleanup duty.

I think Bolden's a hell of lot more likely to stay than Trent. So I see our real issue being at guard. Do we really want to roll with one PG, one SG, and occasionally Goldwire? Sure, we can go big sometimes to cover, but that creates issues at other spots.

What legitimate options does Bolden really have, besides returning to Duke? He isn't going to sniff the first round of the draft or an NBA roster at this point, so he can either come back to Duke and hopefully improve his stock, transfer and sit out a year, or go play professionally in Lithuania. I think he's back. I'd also be surprised if we don't add another player to the class, once the positions of need for next year become even clearer.

Yeah - I do not see Trent staying beyond this year, and I'm not stating that because he has broken out; I have never been confident in having him back at Duke for 18/19.

For next year, I was thinking of a lineup of Tre/RJ/Cam/Javin/Vrank(?); perhaps it is more likely that Javin plays the 5 and Cam plays the 4, in which case AOC is your starter. If this is the case, then I am probably wrong to assume there is no pressing need to pick up another 2 guard for next year. I thought RJ and Cam would suck up most of the minutes at that spot.

What legitimate options does Bolden really have, besides returning to Duke? He isn't going to sniff the first round of the draft or an NBA roster at this point, so he can either come back to Duke and hopefully improve his stock, transfer and sit out a year, or go play professionally in Lithuania. I think he's back. I'd also be surprised if we don't add another player to the class, once the positions of need for next year become even clearer.

I was thinking D-league or overseas - JMO. There seemed to be some surprise that MB was back at Duke for this year.

Yeah - I do not see Trent staying beyond this year, and I'm not stating that because he has broken out; I have never been confident in having him back at Duke for 18/19.

For next year, I was thinking of a lineup of Tre/RJ/Cam/Javin/Vrank(?); perhaps it is more likely that Javin plays the 5 and Cam plays the 4, in which case AOC is your starter. If this is the case, then I am probably wrong to assume there is no pressing need to pick up another 2 guard for next year. I thought RJ and Cam would suck up most of the minutes at that spot.
I think the small ball lineup will be much more effective. Puts four ball handlers around a hustle/glue guy and gives lots of defensive switchability (though our rebounding will probably be an issue).

Trent is a dream NBA prospect as a 3-and-D guard with upside for more. I'd take him in the mid-first round if the draft were today. Close to 0% chance he returns.

The latest SI mock draft has no Trent in it, but has Grayson Allen going 25, so SI is clearly garbage. I'd like to know what's behind the DraftExpress paywall.

Those games are all up on WatchESPN now, for anyone interested. I watched a few minutes of a couple games and my conclusive judgments are:

Barrett - agreed that he looks extra ripped, has more of a Winslow body now. Looks like an all-around stud who might have some frustrating shooting stretches.

Reddish - looked like he was playing in an NBA all-star game, both in terms of how talented he looked and his level of intensity or generally giving a shit about anything. I'm glad Barrett and Jones will be around to punk him if he's being a bitch, because he doesn't seem like the personality type you want in your alpha dog. But goddamn, he's an amazing prospect. Not sure we've ever had anyone with more upside, including Bagley.

Vernon Carey - was a lot more skilled than I expected. Seems to have legit perimeter skills, in terms of shooting and driving.

So with Axes new optimism re Zion, I guess the only question is whether Carey reclasses and we get the 1-4 top HS players to go with the top pg.

K last, best chance to put together a team good enough to win it all with a sub-150 defense.

Those games are all up on WatchESPN now, for anyone interested. I watched a few minutes of a couple games and my conclusive judgments are:

Barrett - agreed that he looks extra ripped, has more of a Winslow body now. Looks like an all-around stud who might have some frustrating shooting stretches.

Reddish - looked like he was playing in an NBA all-star game, both in terms of how talented he looked and his level of intensity or generally giving a shit about anything. I'm glad Barrett and Jones will be around to punk him if he's being a bitch, because he doesn't seem like the personality type you want in your alpha dog. But goddamn, he's an amazing prospect. Not sure we've ever had anyone with more upside, including Bagley.

Vernon Carey - was a lot more skilled than I expected. Seems to have legit perimeter skills, in terms of shooting and driving.
I've compared Reddish to Ingram before -- in his demeanor, skillset, and tendency to be passive.

What a fucking amazing prospect, though. Jesus. He's like a video game character with every skill and attribute maxed out to 100.

“Stop scapegoating ‘one and done,’” Bilas said. “If you don’t want one and dones, don’t recruit them.”

Coleman, though, told the Academic Council in November he’d discussed the rationale for recruiting them with Krzyzewski. The coach cited competitive pressures and the ethos that students ultimately are responsible for their own life choices.

“He explained why, as a coach of a top program, you have to recruit the best athletes and if they decide to come for only one year, that’s the athlete’s decision,” Coleman said, recounting the conversation.
I suspect Bilas will tone down his comments on this issue pretty soon.

In my opinion, we have 2 spots left at least for the 2018 super team.

Trent, Duval, Carter, Bagley, and Grayson are all gone, IMO. Tucker gone.

Would like a shooter and a big with experience.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom