Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Harry Giles III

Giles was clearly uncomfortable last night. Ball stopper on O, didn't really space well at all off the ball or underneath. But, the team gave him the ball twice in a position to make a play which they wouldn't do if they didn't think he could make a play (see Jeter, Chase)

Yeah, I almost feel bad for Chase when he works hard at establishing post position and waves his arms only to have Grayson jack a contested 25-footer. Then I remember that literally any shot is better than a Chase post-up (besides maybe Matt shooting).

I just don't know what the objective was last night. He should have been the first guy off the bench, gotten his big ovation, played until he got tired and then take it from there. Instead they waited too long and let the game get uncomfortable before bringing him in, and it only got more uncomfortable because he was (predictably) bad from not playing in almost 2 years.

If he needs some game conditioning, then he absolutely should have been brought back in when up 20 points. It's almost like he was kept out because that sort of action is beneath him, which makes no sense given what we observed in the first half.

Klahn, Duke was behind 4-0 right out of the gate. It was 5-4 at the 16 minute timeout. Giles was brought in when duke was ahead, and at the line, at the 12 minute time out. Duke lost the lead during his time on the court. K is ruthless with this shit.

The only thing I can figure is that the objective was to show him that he can enter an actual basketball game without falling apart, and that K had zero interest in anything beyond that.

There are times when K can't get out of his own way with the psychological stuff, I think.

As I said elsewhere, I still would have brought him back in when we went up 20. It's not like we hung onto that lead. He can bleed points as easily as Jeter can.

Yeah, same with Bolden. The end-of-games approach is nonsensical, at least from afar.

Yeah,Jeter was absolutely awful in the second half last night. As soon as he came in, the layup drill started and TS ripped off 6 straight, including the best offensive play of the game, which was #5 driving down the lane and dunking on everyone. I can't see where having Jeter on the floor for that is more useful than having Bolden or Giles or JMD or Vrank or Robinson or just playing a man down. Unless the point is to just show Jeter film of him getting humiliated over and over again.

rhfarmer said:
Klahn, Duke was behind 4-0 right out of the gate. It was 5-4 at the 16 minute timeout. Giles was brought in when duke was ahead, and at the line, at the 12 minute time out. Duke lost the lead during his time on the court. K is ruthless with this shit.

It is true that we were behind right out of the gate, but that happens a lot of times, and you almost expect it in the annual first game after exams. We brought in Bolden first, which made no sense. Why would anyone do that? The whole building wants to see Harry. They've been promised that it's Gilesmas. Now it's 8 minutes into the game, and Duke still has only 3 made FG, and Matt Jones has already been to the bench and back on to the floor. People had to watch Matt Jones walk to the scorer's table before Giles did, and Matt was a starter! The air is now out of the building.

He went to the scorer's table right as the TV timeout was being called, and got a huge ovation during the time out that would probably have been missed on TV. He got another huge ovation when he walked onto the court as the timeout was winding down. For the most part, I thought the crowd was totally on it last night, even though the game was painful to watch at times.

None of this helps explain Duke's player use, which seems to have very little correlation to game effectiveness.

Maybe Grayson Allen has sacrificed himself for the sins of the team. Taking it all on himself to bring everyone together.

Last edited by a moderator:
8 boards in the loss - I call that big progress for Giles - predict he plays 25+ on wed

I can't believe he took 12 shots. Most must have been tip attempts.

Eye-test-wise, he's our worst defender right now. Never thought I'd be saying that or saying that Tatum was our best behind Jefferson.

He is constantly out of position, but that will come with playing. I thought that Bolden was a bit better today and they did a good job on Lammers.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom