Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Rasheed Sulaimon

Sulaimon has texted Krzyzewski on three occasions: Easter, when the team made the Final Four and also when the team won the national title. He watched the championship game with about eight fellow Duke students in an apartment and said he was overcome with emotion while watching his former teammates celebrate after the victory.

"I was elated. Everyone was throwing popcorn and water in the air, and celebrating," he said. "I was celebrating too. I was so happy for them because I knew the type of work they put in to get to that point. At the same time, I'm not going to act like I'm not human, I cried that night. I didn't cry because I was sad or mad they won. I was 100 percent elated. Shortly after that, I had to remove myself from the crowd as they were tearing up the house. I called my dad in great tears, telling him, ' Dad ,I really missed out on something, I could have been a part of something that was bigger than me, and something that could have lasted a lifetime.'"

:(

WHAT.

Sulaimon has not seen Krzyzewski since their brief meeting on Jan. 30 in which Duke's head coach read the identical statement that went out to the media.

"Rasheed has been unable to consistently live up to the standards required to be a member of our program," Krzyzewski said in the statement. "It is a privilege to represent Duke University and with that privilege comes the responsibility to conduct oneself in a certain manner. After Rasheed repeatedly struggled to meet the necessary obligations, it became apparent that it was time to dismiss him from the program."

Sulaimon said he was stunned when Krzyzewski read the release, and was in a state of shock as he exited the office.

He just called him into his office read him the release? Fucking bruuuuuuuuuuutal.

I mean, I doubt it's like he called him into the office, read the release verbatim, and waved him away. I'm sure they had a long talk that included at one point K telling him the exact language his was going to use in the statement.

Damn... K did him dirty. They must have really developed an awful relationship by the end.

This whole article made me sad. I don't have much sympathy for him if he's a rapist, but not having any real evidence of that it's hard not to view him just as a kid who made some mistakes.

Sheed's inability to make a layup was grounds enough for a dismissal if we're being honest. You can't be ineffective AND have a bad attitude. I'm sure that Josh Hairston would've gotten kicked off the team too if he incessantly bitched about playing time and chronically looked like someone had just stolen his balloon. No sympathy for Sheed. He didn't develop as a player and didn't accept his limited role, which was generous to begin with.

Sheed will get his chance to shine at a school more suited to his playing ability. Like CHS said on TDD, he didn't miss out on anything because we wouldn't have won anything if he stayed. He's going to be fine.

Oooofff. As much as I loved the season and the team, the Sheed situation detracts a little from it. As frustrating as his play often was, especially since he has such phenomenal potential, I appreciated his outward love for the school. As much regret as he has to feel right now, he seems to be dealing with it in a very mature way. Really wish he had had a little more Quinn in him.

Really weird that he lived with Amile and Sean Kelly. That must not have been awkward at all.

best4heisman said:
Sheed will get his chance to shine at a school more suited to his playing ability. Like CHS said on TDD, he didn't miss out on anything because we wouldn't have won anything if he stayed. He's going to be fine.

Yup. Everyone on TDD thinks I'm some POS for not feeling sorry for Sheed, but it's the truth.

deeyoukayeee said:
Oooofff. As much as I loved the season and the team, the Sheed situation detracts a little from it. As frustrating as his play often was, especially since he has such phenomenal potential, I appreciated his outward love for the school. As much regret as he has to feel right now, he seems to be dealing with it in a very mature way. Really wish he had had a little more Quinn in him.

The Sheed situation doesn't take away any of this season for me at all. When you're involved at such a high level with large stakes, it's always the next man up. Sheed never lived up to his potential, and to tag along with not living up to his potential he carried a poor attitude and had difficulty accepting his role on the team. If he didn't live up to his potential I would be okay with that. Whatever, it would've been lame but I can always root for a good attitude and heart and hustle while being unselfish on the court.

Sheed didn't live up to his potential, was selfish on the court, had a bad attitude and was unwilling to accept his role. It was SO bad that he was the first player Coach K has ever dismissed and he's been doing this for what, 40 years?

Matt Jones and Grayson Allen did what Rasheed could not, and that's embrace their role on the court and carry a great attitude onto the court, and they came up huge for us. Matt Jones was huge against Gonzaga, and he shut down Dekker in the title game, and of course Grayson got better and better and came up huge in so many ways in the title game.

I have no sympathy for Rasheed at all, he clearly was given more than enough chances to straighten out and he did not. With that said, I wish him the best of luck, but if he goes to Maryland I'll be pretty fucking annoyed about it.

Slap the Floor said:
The Sheed situation doesn't take away any of this season for me at all. When you're involved at such a high level with large stakes, it's always the next man up. Sheed never lived up to his potential, and to tag along with not living up to his potential he carried a poor attitude and had difficulty accepting his role on the team. If he didn't live up to his potential I would be okay with that. Whatever, it would've been lame but I can always root for a good attitude and heart and hustle while being unselfish on the court.

Sheed didn't live up to his potential, was selfish on the court, had a bad attitude and was unwilling to accept his role. It was SO bad that he was the first player Coach K has ever dismissed and he's been doing this for what, 40 years?

Matt Jones and Grayson Allen did what Rasheed could not, and that's embrace their role on the court and carry a great attitude onto the court, and they came up huge for us. Matt Jones was huge against Gonzaga, and he shut down Dekker in the title game, and of course Grayson got better and better and came up huge in so many ways in the title game.

I have no sympathy for Rasheed at all, he clearly was given more than enough chances to straighten out and he did not. With that said, I wish him the best of luck, but if he goes to Maryland I'll be pretty fucking annoyed about it.

I'm a little bothered by comments like 'such a high level with large stakes'. It is after all, a game. Played by teens/students.

And the whole 'first player dismissed' stuff is crap. Many players have been suspended and/or told to leave and/or totally marginalized basically to the point of dismissal over the years. Mostly of course for academic failure, which I consider far worse than 'bad attitude' or 'failure to live up to potential'. Since, you know, it's a school and all.

Anyway, I think Rasheed is probably a pretty good kid. His attitude was obviously a problem to the point of distraction. But he clearly loves the school and the program, and I'm very sad that there wasn't a way for him to share more directly in the success of a team to which he has given quite a bit over the years. I knew quite a few of the players in passing, and I always thought of them as peers who just had to work a lot harder than me. Always sad to see one fail.

The stakes are high, and like you said, it IS a school and all, and since Sheed was being allowed to attend a top 10 University for free he should have been able and prepared to "live up to the standard of Duke basketball". It's his own goddamn fault. When you're receiving free schooling because you play basketball, and you're detrimental to the team you should be kicked off.

These two opinions aren't incompatible. You can feel that he deserved to be kicked off the team while also having empathy for him. That's where I stand.

We'll just have to disagree then. A number of kids have not lived up to the standards of Duke UNIVERSITY and been allowed to stay on the team. By all accounts, Sheed is a good student. When you're receiving free schooling so that you can be persuaded to play basketball, and you fail at school, you should be kicked off.

Anyway, these are 18-21 year old kids. I hate to see one fail who clearly loved the program. Especially when 'failing' means not accomplishing what precious few people are even remotely capable of. I'd guess you don't actually judge people in real life this severely.

The good news for Rasheed is, he will get his Duke degree, and can still play a year of college basketball. These are both things to be very damned grateful for. Beats getting kicked out of school and/or going to prison.
Missing out on a National Championship will surely haunt him for the rest of his days, but I agree it's very likely that if he stayed on the team, that game would never have been played. In the end, this works out well for Duke and not all that badly for Rasheed.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom