Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Trevon Duval

15 points and 12 assists tonight.

That is tied for 7th-best single game for assists by a freshman. Paulus had a game with 15, which is 1st.

Bobby Hurley holds the freshmen record for most 10-assist games in a season with 9. I know it's early, but I think that may be in jeopardy.

Hurley averaged 7.6 as a freshmen.

Jay Will averaged 6.5 as a frosh.

I would not be surpised if Trey surpassed both. He'll definitely get at least 5.1. All he has to do for that is to dump it to Bagley and Carter.

Hurley averaged 7.6 as a freshmen.

Jay Will averaged 6.5 as a frosh.

I would not be surpised if Trey surpassed both. He'll definitely get at least 5.1. All he has to do for that is to dump it to Bagley and Carter.
I will attempt to respond to you as neutrally as possible...

We haven't had a PG average over six assists since 2004. We haven't had many PGs average over six assists, period, in K's tenure. What's the number...three total? No Duke PG outside of Hurley has EVER crossed the seven-assist mark. Pace has slowed since the '90s. The idea that a freshman PG would come in and do what no one has done in 27 years, in a slower-paced game, in a Duke system that has increasingly minimized the role of the pure "playmaker," is another one of those takes that is simply poorly researched and thought out. Or it's trolling. Either way, you are wasting people's time. Argue something more serious and realistic -- that Topher is wrong and he will cross the five-assist mark -- and people will take you seriously.

I care more about his 3pt % improving to the point where defenses don't laugh at him when he's attempting a wide open shot - than gaudy assist numbers.

At the very least he'll live up the the "best Duke PG since Tyus" label, since Trevon has already shown a better command and more nuanced understanding of the PG position in his first 2 games than Frank Jackson and Dumb Thornton did their entire time here.

I care more about his 3pt % improving to the point where defenses don't laugh at him when he's attempting a wide open shot - than gaudy assist numbers.

At the very least he'll live up the the "best Duke PG since Tyus" label, since Trevon has already shown a better command and more nuanced understanding of the PG position in his first 2 games than Frank Jackson and Dumb Thornton did their entire time here.

That reminded me to look up the USC box score.

Derryck "How you like me now" Thornton with 3-4 3pt shooting against Cal State Fullerton (but somehow 1-5 on everything else). And 0 assists, 3 turnovers in 20 minutes.

Oh and his "uncle" shat on Coach K despite Thornton starting and playing 20+ minutes a game all season, but is cool with him coming off the bench and only getting 20 minutes against pre-season scrub teams.

Last edited:
If he can simply not turn the ball over, get 4-6 apg and not shoot threes, I think it is a victory. Appears to be competent defensively.

That said, despite the comp level, he appears to be a lot more than we expected. Cautiously optimistic that he might be a very good 2-way pg. We'll be really tough to beat if that is the case.

That reminded me to look up the USC box score.

Derryck "How you like me now" Thornton with 3-4 3pt shooting against Cal State Fullerton (but somehow 1-5 on everything else). And 0 assists, 3 turnovers in 20 minutes.

Oh and his "uncle" shat on Coach K despite Thornton starting and playing 20+ minutes a game all season, but is cool with him coming off the bench and only getting 20 minutes against pre-season scrub teams.
Well I can't say I expected that type of stat line from a 5-star PG who is technically in his 3rd year of college. Especially since we've been led to believe that he's a PnR virtuoso and that evil K didn't properly utilize his extraordinarily high BB IQ and grasp of the PG position - according to his "uncle".

Can you imagine how many of Duval's assists, transition points and the plays that are a result of his natural inclination to feeding the post would've been brilliant DT 1-on-3 pull ups and a gratuitous amount of waving off his teammates for mid-range jumpers off the dribble.

His IQ and lack of mistakes continue to be a shockingly pleasant surprise, competition aside. 20/1 is nuts for a guy K recently called out for too many TOs.

One thing that will be interesting to watch against better teams is how much his lack of shooting shows up. He did a good job today of cutting towards the rim when he was left open on the perimeter, rather than just spotting up for a brick. Easier to do that and finish against Utah Valley than against MSU, though.

That pass to Allen for his first dunk was a pass that 99% of basketball players can't or don't make.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom