Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Trevon Duval

Yeah but if we're seeing one aspect of his game that might be effort related, it might indicate that other aspects of his game might be similarly affected by effort. Personally I feel even frequently gambling (and failing) for steals is often the result of poor effort trying to find the short cut instead committing to playing 30 secs of solid D.

It's a pretty big deal. Duke as a team is rebounding on defense at 71.3%. Duval's number is 5.3%. If Duval rebounded on defense like De'Aaron Fox did last season (12.2%), and only 66.0% of those extra Duval rebounds would have been grabbed by one of Duval's teammates anyway (71.3 - 5.3), then Duval would be adding 2.3% to Duke's team defensive rebounding rate.

Duke would be projected to go from #160 in defensive rebounding rate to #70 if Duval rebounded like Fox.

It's strange to see Fox as Duval's closest comparison on Kenpom, while Fox's closest comparison is Kyrie Irving. Apparently when you say A is similar to B, and B is similar to C, A might be the opposite of C for the position.

Yeah but if we're seeing one aspect of his game that might be effort related, it might indicate that other aspects of his game might be similarly affected by effort. Personally I feel even frequently gambling (and failing) for steals is often the result of poor effort trying to find the short cut instead committing to playing 30 secs of solid D.

Great point - disciplined on-ball D requires much more effort.

Intentional foul call was total horseshit, but still.
Remember this? Miami did this exact same intentional foul off the ball to Duval last night that led to his back-to-back ORebs. Larrañaga was Even yelling at his guys from the bench to do it. The refs didn’t go full retard this time.

The Goldwire numbers are essentially worthless I would think just due to limited and skewed sample, but the Duval numbers jibe with the eye test. So much of it is self-inflicted too, what with the terrible turnovers and drives into the paint with zero plan of what to do when there. I'm not sure what the alternative is, because even with giving slightly more minutes to AOC, you can't just get by with 2.5 guards.

Also Eye-test, but this doesn't seem to carry over to crunch time, BC game notwithstanding. He seems to get his act together in the last few minutes of games. Still wish the staff would just turn him into the basketball equivalent of a game manager. Maybe Goldwire is that guy though, I dunno.

Last edited:
Goldwire essentially takes no risks. He's exactly what you'd want in a backup PG. Duval is high-risk and high-reward. In an ideal world, the staff would get him to temper the first part without neutering him.

I'm not sure even Matt Jones missed 7 layups at the rim in a single game, but here we are.

AOC played over him in crunch time and I can't say I disagree with the decision.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom