Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

[2017-18] Pitt / at Wake / Virginia / Notre Dame / at St. John's

We just played badly for most of the game. This wasn't about any particular player, it wasn't about coaching or preparation. It was purely lack of execution. Virginia had something to do with that, but not everything.

I think we’re gonna end up on the 2 line at best which isn’t good this year when there are three great Kenpom teams that all figure to be 1 seeds- uva and nova are now virtual locks and Purdue is getting there.

Can't be UVA's 2 realistically, and Committee won't want to send us West if it can be avoided at all (we're probably not going to grab the 4th 1), so we have about a 50/50 shot of being in a monster region with Villanova.

I doubt they get far enough for the 1 seed matchup to matter, anyway.

We most likely wouldn't have won the regular season ACC Championship anyway. UVA may not lose at all plus we probably will again. I may skip the next two weeks until the first unc game. We had the game won and freshmen mistakes, missed free throws, etc. cost us and I don't know how much more mentally I can take, that's not even factoring in Allen.

K will never win the regular season standings again. Ks going to retire on a 10-12yr acc regular season drought.

Can't be UVA's 2 realistically, and Committee won't want to send us West if it can be avoided at all (we're probably not going to grab the 4th 1), so we have about a 50/50 shot of being in a monster region with Villanova.

I doubt they get far enough for the 1 seed matchup to matter, anyway.

Are you talking about Villanova or us? I agree we are looking at Nova or Purdue. I guess MSU can overtake Purdue also. I think I’d rather Purdue as the 1 seed and hope they go cold from 3 before the E8.

Still think today was a net positive because UNC removed itself from the Charlotte conversation.

I m not discouraged by this game. No matter what you guys think, the defense continues to improve. That is all that matters at the moment. We came back from down 13 to lead by 4 with the ball. Should have won, but UVA is a good basketball team. The last 3 by Guy was just an unlucky possession and he hit a touch shot. That shot was more of a killer than the one from Tyrone Jerome.

I'm disappointed in the turnovers and in the untimely death of Grayson Allen. I'm not exactly disappointed by Duval's mental retardation, I'm mostly just resigned to the fact that that's who he is and who he will be for his remaining months at Duke.

Yeah I was a lot more disappointed with the offense than the D, even if there were issues there. 22 points in a half is pathetic, regardless of opponent. Just score 30 damnit, and we're not even having this conversation

The guards and free throw shooting are what concern me most. Dumb Duval, Streaky Trent, and Dead Allen are not an elite trio and we have never won a title with anything less than stellar guardplay. FTs have been a problem all year and clanking the front ends of three consecutive one-and-ones was probably the biggest factor in today's loss.

The defense, which I had feared was a lost cause after the State debacle, is indeed improving and Bagley/Carter are an insanely talented duo down low (FT shooting aside), but unless a genius Duke scientist can inject Duval with some artificial intelligence and find a way to resuscitate the 2015-16 version of Grayson Allen, I am not particularly optimistic about a deep tournament run.

Also fuck Virginia. Team full of bitches who play an eye-gougingly ugly style of basketball. I don't know how anyone could tolerate watching them play 30+ times a season, even with all the regular season success they have. I eagerly await their typical second round tournament exit, which will likely directly precede Duke's.

Virginia reminds me of K's late 80's Duke teams. Just an absolute slog trying to score against them. Every play is a scrum of clutching and grabbing and hacking.

Basically, Bennett knows the refs won't call all the fouls. It's just a fact, fouls tend to even out over the course of the game, regardless of how aggressive a team might play.

Bennet clogs the lane, where fouls tend to go uncalled due to the density of the bodies.

All this being said, Duke was in a position to blow the lid off this team even though they didn't show up for an entire half.

I think Bennett views basketball as psychological warfare, like K and Brad Stevens and maybe a few others (Gregg Marshall I guess). I really think their first half strategy was just to make Duke's guards run through a bunch of physical screens, and that's all. It just happened that some of their shots went in, but the whole point was to tire out and rattle the guards. Inside, I think he takes advantage of lax enforcement of loose ball fouls the same way K took advantage of lax enforcement of hand checking for so many years. They treat boxing out and establishing position like a 1970s offensive line would, and if refs aren't going to call fouls, that's what they should do.

And his guys don’t reach on the ball. They hip-check and forearm you to death on drives, but those don’t get called like reaching for the ball.

Reactions: TBC
And his guys don’t reach on the ball. They hip-check and forearm you to death on drives, but those don’t get called like reaching for the ball.

They also forearm you to death on offense. All of their ball handlers look like RBs breaking through the line for 20 yards. They throw chicken wings every time a defender gets near them, but they're smart about it and keep them low, so they never get called.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom