Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

[2017-18] Pitt / at Wake / Virginia / Notre Dame / at St. John's

After that game yesterday - is there any way for us to get a 1 seed? Have to think NOVA has the East, Virginia has the South. Purdue could lock up the midwest, but still has games against Ohio State and MSU (both away) back-to-back to could gain some there. Only others in contention would be Kansas and MSU. I think if we can win out, and win the ACC T (with the help of some Purdue Losses) we can get a 1 in the MW.

Thoughts.....

There is more than enough time and opportunity for Duke to get back into contention for a No. 1 seed. Granted, we'll probably need some help from some other teams and we'll probably have to lose no more than two games the rest of the way, but we are by no means out of it.

I saw a few declarations yesterday on Twitter and elsewhere that Virginia had locked up a No. 1 seed with the win at Duke. The odds are certainly in UVa's favor, but to state such a thing as fact on Jan. 27 is absurd.

The Chronicle basketball coverage this year is the best that I can remember from them.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...highlight-duke-mens-basketballs-lack-of-depth

Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski, Bagley and Duval all rejected the notion that fatigue played a role in the Blue Devils' loss after the game, but the missed rebounding opportunities, missed free throws and a careless late turnover were all characteristic of a team that looked like it ran out of steam. Duke did not make a substitution in the second half, and its bench played a combined six minutes in the entire game.

With the Cavaliers on their heels, the visitors made a key adjustment to capitalize on a deeper rotation than that of the Blue Devils. Forward Isaiah Wilkins was ineffective offensively after the Blue Devils switched to a 2-3 zone defense, unable to knock down multiple wide-open jumpers from the hole in the zone at the elbow.

So Tony Bennett replaced Wilkins with dynamic 6-foot-7 redshirt freshman De'Andre Hunter, and his fresh legs almost singlehandedly stemmed the tide.

Hunter scored eight of Virginia's 13 points in a run that turned a four-point Cavalier deficit into a two-point lead, and after he went down with an apparent ankle injury following his last layup, Guy and Jerome each knocked down clutch 3-pointers to provide the rest of the offense Virginia needed.

He (Krzyzewski) felt that the defensive scheme minimized fatigue after the break, and maybe it was a coincidence that the Blue Devils missed four of their five free-throw attempts in the last 10 minutes, including three front ends of one-and-ones. Maybe Duval would have made that ill-fated length of the court pass into triple coverage when Duke trailed by just two points with a minute left even if he was more fresh.

Carter and Bagley were all that was working for the Blue Devils on offense—Bagley had another titanic effort with 30 points and 14 rebounds—but two interior scoring threats are not enough to beat top-tier teams like the Cavaliers.

It is nearly impossible to succeed at any level of basketball with a five-man rotation, and Duke's reserves will need to get better and get healthy soon.

I would expect the usual bench rotation for tomorrow's game. However, ND's bigs play on the perimeter, so not sure if that is the best matchup for Bolden to make his return (assuming he is healthy).

Yeah when I was trashing AOCs defense I wasn't aware he had the flu. He was getting steady minutes before that. I also think Bolden, if he ever gets healthy, will be a regular rotation player. Moreso than DeL because he can actually score.

I'm not sure I buy the fatigue thing. For one thing the game was played at a plodding pace. One of the missed FT's by Carter after right after a timeout.

I agree with this take about yesterday's game; in the long term, they should have 2 or 3 reliable subs to be successful (per quotes provided in DDB post above)

I might buy fatigue if it was Allen or Trent missing those late FTs. Three of the starters have been shitty FT shooters (although Carter had been improving) much of the season, and those guys were the ones missing. It is what it is. Like Shaq on those Lakers teams, you have to hope they make enough of them went it counts.

Duke is favored by 14.5 points against Notre Dame. They have lost 5 in a row and will be without at least 2 of their best players.

Needless to say, if Allen and Duval can’t manage to avoid being trash in this game, they may want to consider a different career.

To be fair, Both Guy and Jerome missed FTs as well. UVa gave Duke unusual opportunities down the stretch.

I think we can afford 1 more loss and get a 1 seed unless Purdue and/or Virginia struggle. I don't see Nova losing more than 2-3 total considering their schedule.

If we have one more loss we are getting a 1 seed. There’s almost no way we wouldn’t. If we have two more losses through the end of the acct, probably a 90 percent chance of still getting a one.

Wasn't there a stat the other day that said if we lost to UVA we had 37%, or something like that, to get a 1 seed?

That’s reasonable, since Duke probably loses 3 more games, in which case any of the true basketball powers of Auburn, Cincinnati or Xavier would have a decent chance of jumping Duke on the S curve.

Yeah I’m hoping we draw like auburn or Ohio state as a 3 seed. Probably won’t even have to play them if we make the S16.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom