Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Harry Giles III

Go ahead and replace one of MJ's hips since he'll need it in the next few years anyway.

Might seem weird, but Giles is probably the player we can least afford to lose to injury. Does stuff that we can't rely on any other player to do, and does it instinctively. We don't need any more offense. What an amazing complement he will be to everyone else on this team, if he can ever get healthy.

I agree - although the team is unusually deep at the 4/5 spots, HG can be an explosive game-changer on both ends.

If he comes back healthy, Harry Giles with Grayson Allen may be the most hated duo in the history of college basketball. Grayson is Grayson, but Harry loves to woof at people.

Yeah I've noticed that. Most of his high school highlights are him dunking and yelling at whoever he dunked on. Thankfully for him, there is a white person to absorb the brunt of the hate.

I don't think Harry will be hated. Will make too many highlight athletic plays, and the shit-talking will be seen as a mark of toughness. And frankly the tripping shit is pretty pussified. Harry will just punch people if they fuck with him.

I think he'll be more like KG. Disdain for the woofing combined with reluctant respect for his insane athleticism and how hard he plays.

Pretty good chance Luke moves way up on the hatred scale starting this year IMO. He'll carry the banner until his understudy O'Connell - who has almost limitless hatred potential if he can ever get serious minutes - is ready in 2019.

Luke may not be vocal enough to be hated. Sure, he looks like an '80s bully, but so did Scheyer. And at least among my Carolina friends Scheyer was begrudgingly respected. I always assumed that's because he was not demonstrative.

Also, I am glad you mentioned KG. Giles reminds me more of him than Webber, but Webber is the player he always gets compared to. Maybe I just don't remember Webber well enough.

Webber was one of the best passing PFs ever, so that will probably stop the Webber comparisons. In his peak passing season, Webber had a 25% assist rate and 12% turnover rate. KG actually had a better peak passing season than Webber (27% and 12%), but wasn't nearly as consistent. Webber was high teens in assist rate throughout his entire career, while KG usually stayed in the low teens.

Kyle Singler's assist rate was 14% as a junior and 9% as a senior, and I'd expect Giles to be significantly below those numbers, which would put him a completely different category of player from Webber, though he could be close to KG.

At KG's rebounding and rim protecting peak, he was a 30% defensive rebounder, 9% offensive rebounder and 4% shot blocker, with a 5.0 DBPM and 92 defensive rating. If Giles gives us the college equivalent of that - something like 25% defensive rebounding, 12% offensive rebounding, 6% shot blocking, 6.0 DBPM and 80 defensive rating, it's hard to see Duke failing. Those are numbers that have a decent level of consistency throughout the season, unlike shooting accuracy and most other offensive stats.

May as well use this thread to discuss old pros since it doesn't appear that we will be discussing Harry Giles' play very much.

SeanMayTriedToEatMe said:

Thanks, Obama!

Sadly this is what im expecting to happen. Don't expect to see Giles in a Duke uniform ever and don't expect to see the other two till January. I've come to expect the worse when it comes to Duke injuries.

I get the lack of information because they're trying to protect the players, but in my opinion the complete lack of information, like not evening knowing the injury for Bolden makes it worse. It allows for more speculation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, Cali.

I'd be shocked if any of that stuff is true.

I can't describe the rage if he doesn't even attempt to play for us...

(FTR, I think thats bullshit)

ZackM said:
Welcome, Cali.

I'd be shocked if any of that stuff is true.

Thank you.

I'm not thinking it because of that tweet, this is how I've felt since he had that second surgery. Once that happened just didn't expect to see him in a Duke jersey. It just sucks the way Duke handles their injuries, we don't even get a timberline for when they might be expected back. I mean just look at Bolden, didn't play the 2nd exhibition because of "rest", then out because of a "leg" injury with no time table. So I just expect the complete worst now. Like last year once Amile got hurt, didn't expect him back that year. I almost go with every Duke injury as a season ending injury sadly haha.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom