Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Jared McCain

I don't care how good a shooter he is. I don't know why an NBA team would want a 6'3" non-PG who is a defensive liability even at the college level.

Yes, I know this board hasn't been as critical of McCain's defense as of other players', but Brian tweets about how bad it is all the time. He has active hands but is easily beat off the dribble and misses key rotations. Wouldn't be quite as big a deal if he'd shown he could run point. But at the NBA level, you're asking him to guard 6'5" to 6'7" guys. That kind of elite shooter who won't hold up defensively has career bench player written all over him. Best outcome would be a Seth Curry, I guess.

He strikes me as pretty small for his height too. Long neck and sloped shoulders = not a lot of functional height.

He's had some very nice games, but I still don't fully trust him against top-level college athletes, much less NBA ones.

Too late to edit but feel like I should clarify - I do fully trust that he'll eventually be a very good player against top college comp. Just not entirely convinced he's consistently there yet, and may need more of an adjustment period due to his physical traits relative to someone with a lower overall ceiling but better physical gifts like a Cassius Stanley.

Gonna be one of the more interesting draft cases. The thought of a soph McCain with Flagg gets me super excited but hard to turn down guaranteed money at the end of the 1st round where he’s projected. Could kind of see him as a third Splash Brother. Rome will hate this post.

Gonna be one of the more interesting draft cases. The thought of a soph McCain with Flagg gets me super excited but hard to turn down guaranteed money at the end of the 1st round where he’s projected. Could kind of see him as a third Splash Brother. Rome will hate this post.
I don't hate it, but I don't really understand it. Klay is 6'6". Steph is around the same size as McCain but has an unreal handle, a much more diverse off-the-dribble game, and much better range. Like I said, I think a SETH Curry outcome would be a good one for him.

As for turning down 1st round money, we had Flip (and Proctor on some mocks) do that this last year. I don't think end-of-first money is quite as compelling as it was even a few years ago.

As for turning down 1st round money, we had Flip (and Proctor on some mocks) do that this last year. I don't think end-of-first money is quite as compelling as it was even a few years ago.
And I would assume McCain one of Duke’s higher NIL earners with his social media presence. Really hope we get to see him as a sophomore.
I've mentioned it before, but he drives a Porsche SUV. And I swear every time I see him, he's wearing an outfit that probably cost $1000. I mean, he would still make $2 million at the end of the first round. So that's probably a lot more than whatever he's getting from NIL. But he's clearly not struggling.

Didnt shoot well tonight but he has cemented himself as my favorite player since Zion. His baskets give me that similar giddiness…mainly the transition 3s. His movements and shot selection remind me a lot of college Steph. If he could just develop a floater he could be near unstoppable.

His defense is fucking horrible though. It was particularly glaring tonight. I'm pretty sure I could drive the ball on him. The sad thing is this isn't a Bagley or Jabari. He tries. He's just completely incapable of offering any resistance.

Yes, but I think it the reason it was particularly glaring tonight because the directive was for everyone to be up super tight on Pedulla and Cattoor. Roach did a great job of sticking to Cattoor like glue on a number of possessions, but even he got backdoored twice. Foster too.

Yes, but I think it the reason it was particularly glaring tonight because the directive was for everyone to be up super tight on Pedulla and Cattoor. Roach did a great job of sticking to Cattoor like glue on a number of possessions, but even he got backdoored twice. Foster too.
I also think it was clear that VT's strategy was to get certain of our guys in isolation and drive them. McCain seemed to be target #1.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom