Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Player Jared McCain

Only looking at his numbers and putting aside any preconceived notions about how he plays, I would think he has the skillset of a playable version of Jaden Schutt. Hardly any passing, with plenty of turnovers nonetheless, great shooter from 3 and the line, can’t make a shot inside the arc or draw a foul. On paper, he’s just a guy who you run around screens for open 3s. Nothing else.

What is going on with him? Wasn’t he coming in with a scouting report that suggested he would share point guard duties? On this roster with a bunch of other guys who can handle and create, a designated shooter/spacer/intentional foul FT shooter, at 45% 3pt and 100% FT, is still extremely valuable. So I don’t really care if this is all he is as a player, but I’m confused as to why people thought he would be a point guard.

Not seeing it with this kid. 51% eFG, 21% TO, 11% FT rate. Seems like the eFG is due for some "progression to the mean" but he doesn't pass the vibe check.

A 6’2.5 SG with no semblance of elite quickness or touch around the rim is a four year player so that’s a nice bonus, assuming Flagg can play PG next year and we don’t get screwed there
He's also making so much money right now that he shouldn't feel the need to pull a DJ Steward.

I see him on campus more than almost anyone else. He drives a Porsche SUV. He's always as well dressed as he is in the pre-game photos. He must have a $10K wardrobe. He probably has $3K in sweaters alone.

We really need Foster back next season, assuming the higher ups won’t let Scheyer use the portal for anyone good at basketball. Flagg can’t do all the point guard things, and do it for 40 mpg. It doesn’t seem that McCain can do anything related to being point for any stretch of time.

PG Foster (36) / Flagg (4)
SG McCain (36) / Flagg (4)
SF Flagg (20) / Evans (20)
PF Mitchell (32) / Flagg (8)
C Stewart (28) / Ngongba (8) / Flagg (4)

I guess that’s fine for big games. Weird though.

Last edited:
A 6’2.5 SG with no semblance of elite quickness or touch around the rim is a four year player so that’s a nice bonus, assuming Flagg can play PG next year and we don’t get screwed there
He's also making so much money right now that he shouldn't feel the need to pull a DJ Steward.

I see him on campus more than almost anyone else. He drives a Porsche SUV. He's always as well dressed as he is in the pre-game photos. He must have a $10K wardrobe. He probably has $3K in sweaters alone.
My ZionNotBad is really an ObiNotBad.

Basically a worse overall version of junior year Paulus but with better defense. I would gladly take a junior year Paulus but with defense.

Wouldn’t be good for his pro prospects but maybe we turn him into Andre Dawkins with defense. Don’t try to create. Don’t try to get in the paint. Shoot it, pumpfake-sidestep-shoot-it, or pass.

To elaborate: I've heard multiple scouts say they take poor 2pt percentage as a big red flag. It can indicate a lack of strength, a lack of size, a lack of lift, a lack of touch, a lack of handle, a lack of aggression, etc. All of those can be qualities that can severely limit NBA upside.

Right now, for whatever reason, McCain is shooting 26% inside the arc. Teams aren't drafting a 6'3" spotup shooter unless he suddenly starts attempting 10 threes a game.

He's got an inch on Jimmer Fredette. Maybe a bit of strength. Athleticism and wingspan about the same.

He’s a joke. Not that Duke isn’t already a laughingstock, but McCain shining a spotlight on it and embarrassing himself doesn’t help.

As his pro prospects die quickly, I could see him transferring to USC after this season to help an entertainment career along.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom