Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NBA Draft Discussion

I'm having as much trouble understanding why Cadeau is a coveted NBA prospect as I am McCain. Official UNC site has him at 6'1". He's also skinny.

He'd better have an amazing handle, elite speed, or a great off-the-dribble jumper at that height. If he does go 7th, UNC is probably better than we're expecting.

These pass-first types tend to have teams less concerned about height. I’m interested to see how the Cadeau/Proctor matchups go, as I obviously hope Proctor can defensively own Cadeau while taking advantage of the size mismatch to drive and body up on offense. It should be favorable for Duke, though I guess Roach might have to take the assignment due to size down the lineup. Those 2+ matchups should impact their draft positions significantly.

Proctor makes sense to me as an lottery pick. 6'5", projects to be a good movement shooter, nice passing vision, excellent defender, high IQ.

Personally, I still think Flip goes the highest. But that's mostly because I expect him to have a better season. If he shoots 35% from three while playing center and demonstrating decent defensive mobility, he'll end up top 10. His skillset and height combo seem much more interesting to an NBA scout than anything Foster, Cadeau, or McCain could possibly demonstrate.

After looking at that Top 25 shooting guard list, I can see why the league would like McCain. His ceiling is Seth Curry on offense but with tenacious, physical (although not very athletic) defense, and can run point in a pinch. 2-guard version of Jalen Brunson? Something.

Granted, those two guys played a lot of college ball to sharpen their skills before the league (and Seth was undrafted even then). But maybe GMs are giving guys like this more of a look?

Is Seth Curry with defense enough to go from undrafted to mid 1st round? Granted, he's younger than Seth was. Plus, the league is much more obsessed with shooting than they were in 2013. So maybe?

I also want to hold off any assessment of his defense until we see what it actually looks like against college comp. Same goes with attributing Seth's offensive potential to him. Seth is one of the best shooters ever from the best shooting family of all time.

I do think 18th seems reasonable for McCain in a way that the other mocks that had him 9th-10th did not. In a historically bad draft, I can see it.

Updated Vecenie mock:

6. Proctor
13. Flip
18. Mitchell

No freshman for duke or UNC:

• A few additional names are worthy of top-60 placement, but I haven’t listed them here because they’re freshmen and I think they could take some time to fully develop. North Carolina guard Elliot Cadeau reclassified up and will play either behind or next to veteran guard R.J. Davis. The growth curve for point guards who reclassify is not particularly strong, so I’m envisioning him playing two college seasons right now even though he is clearly incredibly talented. The same can be said for Duke’s Jared McCain and Caleb Foster, both of whom have veterans ahead of them and may struggle to find consistent roles. (I like McCain a bit more). I also love Sean Stewart at Duke, though I think he likely needs a couple of years to work through his offense. Xavier Booker has all the tools in the world, but Michigan State and Tom Izzo can be less forgiving to prospects without the necessary defensive aptitude early in bigger players’ careers.

It’s not Vecenie’s intention to assess it this way, and I’m sure he realizes this, but clearly there will be some inverse correlation between the highest profile freshmen guards who project as PGs in the NBA either all leaving early or all staying in college. It’s highly unlikely IMO that all three of Cadeau, Foster and McCain make the same decision, either way. Cadeau leaving should rationally have the effect of making Foster and McCain more likely to stay, and vice versa, which makes Cadeau’s decision potentially one of the most impactful on the history of the rivalry.

He will stay.

Nikola Topic is the best version of that name yet. I'm sure it's pronounced "Toe-Pitch," but I prefer to either pronounce it "Toe-Pic" (like something you send a foot fetishist) or like the English word "Topic."

Jared McCain can become the #1 overall pick this season.

I was listening to a podcast about the draft recently. It may have been Game Theory or something else. The hosts were discussing the G League Ignite and Overtime Elite. They brought up that neither have actually proven to be that good a path for high school prospects. While a few players like the Thompsons and Jalen Green have maintained their draft stock, a lot have actually hurt it by playing on disorganized teams against superior competition.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Chat rooms

• General chit-chat 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluegrass Blue Devil
Back
Top Bottom